12/06/2007

How we joined the modern world


Here are before and after shots of our electric panel....today we brought our house from the ancient days of fire-prone fuses into the modern wonder of circuit breakers. At the same time we upgraded our service, installed a new meter box, and ran all new cables into the house.

Shawn was the expert project leader and I was the not-so-expert assistant. The guys at Dominion Power also deserve a shout-out. They were great to work with.

Probably not all of you are as interested in this as I am (I learned so much today), but if you are, a few more shots are here. This project has been hanging over our heads for some time - we're tired, but it's great to have this project behind us.

The power company guys showed up at 8am to cut off the power for the day. It also happened to be the coldest day of the winter with the first snow on the ground.

Out with the old!


The new meter box before any of the cables were run.

Shawn deep in thought wiring the new box.

This was as cold as it got in the house - taken just before we turned everything back on.


2 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Oh, good: you're still in blog land! I'm so pleased! :) And I'm happy for your home-improvement and recent passion for electric wiring. The things we come to find interesting sure would surprise us 10 years ago, huh? But, it's a healthy part of maturing; fixing stuff, taking responsibility for fire hazards and such...

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger joey said...

awesome work! im impressed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home